Posts for: May, 2020
Find out how a pain specialist will treat and help you manage rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes the immune system to attack the synovium or lining of the joints. This results in joint pain, stiffness, and inflammation. While RA can affect any joint in the body, most patients experience symptoms in the hands, ankles, and knees. Our interventional pain management physicians, Dr. Wilson Almonte and Dr. Ted Lin of Victoria, TX, provide individualized pain management plans to patients dealing with different severities of RA.
The Signs and Symptoms of RA
First, it’s important to recognize the warning signs of RA. In the very beginning, it’s easy to overlook your symptoms as you may not even notice that the joints are a little red or swollen. It isn’t until these symptoms set in that people usually come into our office:
- Persistent joint pain, swelling, and stiffness that’s lasted for more than six weeks
- Stiffness that is worse in the morning
- Pain, stiffness, and swelling in smaller joints such as the hands and feet
- Symptoms that appear on both sides of the body
- Low-grade fever
RA flares or attacks can last for weeks or even months, with most people experiencing remission from symptoms between flare-ups.
How We Can Help
Here at Interventional Pain Management, your doctors provide a multimodal approach to care that alleviates chronic pain and inflammation, while also restoring functionality back into the body. Since every patient is different, we will alter and adjust each treatment to their needs and the severity of their symptoms to improve health, wellbeing, and quality of life.
Even though there is no cure for RA, flares can be reduced by knowing how to properly manage symptoms. Lifestyle changes that can improve symptoms and flares include,
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Getting regular exercise and activity every day
- Hot and cold therapy
- Stress management
There are also medications that can be prescribed to decrease symptoms, slow the progression of the disease, or target the immune system directly. These medications are known as non-steroid anti-inflammatory medications, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), and biologics.
Of course, here at our practice, Dr. Almonte and Dr. Lin focus on drug-free pain management, which includes:
- Physical therapy: we guide patients through different flexibility and strengthening exercises, as well as low-impact aerobic activities to help promote stronger muscles and improve mobility while decreasing pain and inflammation
- Ultrasound: through ultrasound therapy, we use sound waves to target certain joints in the body to reduce pain, stiffness, and inflammation
- Radiofrequency ablation: this special technology directs radio waves to the affected joints to heat up nerve tissue and reduce pain signals to those areas
Victoria Pain & Rehabilitation Center and Brazos Pain Management provide comprehensive, customized pain treatment to people living in and around Houston and Victoria, TX. To schedule an appointment call:
- (361) 575-2882 - Victoria Pain
- (361) 578-7396 - Victoria PT
- (281) 240-4300 - Brazos Pain