How your pain management doctors in Victoria and Sugar Land TX can help with sciatic nerve pain
Do you feel a sharp pain in your lower back that runs down your leg? You could be experiencing one of the classic symptoms of sciatica, a condition caused by compression of the sciatic nerve. The good news is, your pain management doctor can help.
Dr. Wilson Almonte, Dr. Ted Lin, and our team of physical therapists are here for you. We offer a wide range of interventional pain management services, including effective treatments for sciatic nerve pain. We have convenient office locations in Sugar Land and Victoria TX, including Physical Therapy at our Victoria location, to help you feel better.
The Basics of Sciatica
Most people who experience sciatica will feel pain in the lower back, which runs down one leg. Sciatica pain can vary from a dull ache to sharp pain. It can be caused by damage to your back from a damaged or herniated disk, which puts pressure on the sciatic nerve.
There are a few factors that can put you at greater risk of developing sciatic nerve pain. These factors include:
- Carrying excess weight, which can add stress to your spine
- Working at an occupation where you sit in one position for an extended period
- Aging, which can cause degenerative changes in your spine
- Working at an occupation where you twist or move heavy items
- Having diabetes, which can increase your risk of nerve damage
There are some therapies you can try at home to get relief from sciatica. Remember to:
- Apply hot and cold packs to your spine and the affected leg
- Gently stretch your back and the affected leg
- Take over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
For persistent, moderate to severe sciatic nerve pain, it’s best to visit your doctor. The first step is a thorough examination of your spine, including X-rays and other imaging studies to determine the underlying cause of your sciatic nerve pain. For relief from sciatica, your doctor may recommend:
- Physical therapy and stretching
- Muscle relaxants and nerve medications
- Therapeutic massage and relaxation techniques
- Surgical therapy for severe sciatica symptoms
You don’t have to live with sciatica. You can get relief from your doctor. To find out more about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of sciatica, call the offices of Dr. Wilson Almonte and Dr. Ted Lin. We also offer Physical Therapy at our Victoria office. You can reach Victoria Pain & Rehabilitation Center at (361) 572-2882. For the Victoria Physical Therapy office, call (361) 578-7396. Lastly, for the Brazos Pain Management office, call (281) 240-4300.